Hello Sam,

======= On 2003-03-29 at 23:55:00 you wrote: =======

>I have noticed that F-prot AV will discover, flag, identify, and report
>any MIME-encoded email attachments containing viruses in messages
>received by Arachne's email client, even if the the attachment has not
>yet been decoded and saved to a file.
>
>In the case of messages received by Nettamer's email client a
>MIME-encoded attachment containing a virus will not get caught by
>F-prot until after the attachment has been decoded and saved to a
>file.

Last September I was in contact with Frisk (the F-Prot people) because
the then-current DOS version would not detect viruses in Foxmail 4.1
mailboxes larger than 500,000 bytes. This is still the case, and I have
not received a satisfactory reply. In fact, their first reply stated:

        >You should not have problems with scanning 500+ KB files. If that
        >were the case F-Prot would not be in business. Have you tried using
        >the Dumb scan mode?

I had, indeed. I have also tried the two(?) updates to F-Prot released
since then.

Foxmail's mailboxes are zip-compressed. I zipped them further for
uploading so Frisk could download and examine them. The example
mailbox of less than 500,000 bytes did not reveal its infection to
F-Prot when zipped.

>This applies even in the case of same virus, different email client.
>
>I wonder why this is so.  Does anyone know why?

See if Nettamer's mailboxes can be unzipped and whether the one you're
dealing with is over 500,000 bytes.

My inbox is currently over 38MB...

Regards,

Jake Young