Must be Tesco... I did complain then too.

Although not a customer for they do not deliver to this country, I am a
shareholder and want a decent website from the compagny.

Sometimes feedback helps.. not always :-(

CU, Bastiaan

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 19:2:38 +0000, J J Young wrote:

> Hello Sam,

> You may recall the run-in I had with a major UK supermarket
> and its website a couple of years ago. I spoke to one of
> their guys, who was quite dismissive when I said the site
> was useless to many blind users, but at least he was available,
> which was not the case with the lamentable UK Govt sites
> (a lot of whose problems are due to reliance on the EDS
> company, boo-hiss).

> The supermarket got some bad publicity when blind customers
> were told to use online ordering instead of the previously
> available phone-in system. (There's a growing discrimination
> by the BBC and others in favour of SMS messages instead of
> email, phone or conventional mail.) A recent radio programme
> about the problems faced by the disabled demonstrated the
> poor performance of a Virgin company website when visited
> with screen reader software. Sir Richard Branson's team got
> on the case in double-quick time.

> The supermarket now offers an alternative site to any user
> with JavaScript disabled -- I don't know if it's selectable
> by the hoi-polloi. They've turned it to their advantage by
> getting an award from the RNIB, the UK's major organization
> for the blind, yet the site uses a page background colour
> that isn't in the "Websafe palette" (so there's a dithered
> pattern in Exploiter).

> So, if there's something in it for them, whether prestige
> and awards or less complaints and a healthier bottom line
> then they might change. But as long as it's cool to use
> flashy techniques and NOT CARE about tripping up a proportion
> of their visitors there's a problem. From my point of view
> I want to use CSS more extensively but the Netscape 4 series
> botch the page-display rather than ignoring stuff it doesn't
> understand. I could easily ignore Netscape4.x, but I mustn't!
> Maybe in five years' time... but there would still be a few
> people left to annoy.

> As to how to help the webmaster you contacted, you could find
> him an award to apply for (or create one yourself!) and point
> him to these online tools:

> Web Page Purifier
> http://www.delorie.com/web/purify.html

> Web Page Backward Compatibility Viewer:
> http://www.delorie.com/web/wpbcv.html

> Lynx Viewer
> http://www.delorie.com/web/lynxview.html

> Search Engine Simulator
> http://www.delorie.com/web/ses.cgi
> -- this will show how useless an over-graphic page design
> can be.

> Hopefully, he'll find this all very useful and proceed to:
> http://www.delorie.com/donations.html

> There is also the question of SERVICE. The webmaster is
> providing a service to his client and the site's visitors.
> If he's only interested in showing off his use of a non-
> standards compliant technique the site owner should hire
> someone else with a more mature outlook. The designer SHOULD
> have his ears wide open to any feedback.

> Best regards,

> [...]

-
Technische Redactie CQ-PA
Bastiaan Edelman, PA3FFZ
Attentie: e-mail adres bij Wanadoo niet meer gebruiken!

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    http://home.hetnet.nl/~ba8tian/index.html

** Virusvrij e-mailen? => Arachne browser/mailer **