Google has
[announced](https://blog.chromium.org/2021/01/limiting-private-api-availability-in.html)
 that they are going to block everything but Chrome from accessing certain
Google features (like Chrome sync) starting on March 15. This decision by
Google is going to affect Arch's `chromium` package a bit earlier, on
March 2, when Chromium 89 gets released.

We know for sure that **data syncing** will stop working (passwords, bookmarks,
etc.). Other features such as **geolocation** or **enhanced spell check** might
continue to function for a bit longer. Extensions integrating with **Google
Drive** might misbehave and LibreOffice will lose access to documents stored
there.

Other distros such as openSUSE and Fedora have already removed the
soon-to-be-limited API keys from their Chromium 88 packages. Fedora's
[advisory](https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2021-48866282e5)
provides a great deal of perspective on this and I also found this Hackaday
[post](https://hackaday.com/2021/01/26/whats-the-deal-with-chromium-on-linux-google-at-odds-with-package-maintainers/)
 to be quite informative.