Pierre Schmitz schrieb:
Hi devs,

we had a long discussion about xz/lzma support some time ago. So I finally added xz-utils to testing and rebuild libarchive to make use of it.
If everything is OK we can move both to core and remove lzma-utils from extra.

I don't know if anything else has to be recompiled to add support for xz/lzma.

PS: you can build xz archive with bsdtar (part of libarchive).
PPS: the git version of pacman/makepkg (future 3.3) should support the xz format (not tested)

bsdtar can create .tar.xz archives with compression level 9 (at least it claims it does, I added --option xz:compression=9 or so) - however, if I unxz them and xz -9 them again (or do that to any tar archives), bsdtar cannot extract them. This is the same for -7 and -8. pacman is therefore also unable to read those archives. No idea why, but I thought I'd mention it.