Hey All,

I noticed Fedora is discussing switching from zlib to zlib-ng. zlib-ng is a fork of zlib, which seems to offer ~ 40% better performance and a new API. We have about ~ 1000 packages depending on zlib, zlib-ng does offer a compat option to keep zlib API compatibility. [1]

# Proposal

From a discussion in #archlinux-staff. It was determined that a possible plan would be to introduce zlib-ng as package in [extra] with the modern API enabled, we can then migrate packages over that are compatible to the new API.

A zlib-ng-compat package can be provided, as proposed by Fedora, that activates the zlib API compatibility mode and directly provides libz.so. This package can provide/conflict the original zlib package, and potentially be target to replace zlib all together.

In short:

zlib-ng would provide libz-ng.so
zlib-ng-compat would provide libz.so

# Packages which might be able to use zlib-ng

Alpine offers a package which has 6 required packages.[2]
Debian's codesearch suggests a few packages seem to mention a possible zlib-ng compatibility. [3]

These notes where written down last Thursday, in the meantime, Anthraxx uploaded zlib-ng to [extra], so we can start switching packages which use the modern API over. Replacing zlib with zlib-ng-compact is something we need to discuss, I've overheard so far that some test suites fail because they check the compressed test artifact's hash which with zlib-ng can be different.

[1] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel%40lists.fedoraproject.org/message/CDNPJ4SOTRQMYVCDI3ZSY4SP4FYESCWD/
[2] https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/package/edge/community/x86/zlib-ng
[3] https://codesearch.debian.net/search?q=zlib-ng&literal=1&perpkg=1

Greetings,