Hi all,

with shadow 4.14.0 I introduced some changes to default password hashing
algorithms and would like to post the following on the website once the relevant
packages (filesystem, pambase, shadow) move to [core]:

```markdown
With shadow >= `4.14.0`, Arch Linux's default password hashing algorithm
changed from `SHA512` to [yescrypt](https://www.openwall.com/yescrypt/) and
[PAM](https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PAM) honors the chosen `ENCRYPT_METHOD`
in /etc/login.defs.
While this should not require any direct user intervention, do note that since
we now fully integrate with PAM the `YESCRYPT_COST_FACTOR` setting in
`/etc/login.defs` is currently without effect, until [PAM implements reading
its value](https://github.com/linux-pam/linux-pam/issues/607).
If a `YESCRYPT_COST_FACTOR` higher (or lower) than the default (`5`) is needed,
it can be set using the `rounds` option of the
[pam_unix](https://man.archlinux.org/man/pam_unix.8) module (i.e. in
/etc/pam.d/system-auth).

Furthermore, additional changes in the filesystem (>= `2023.09.18`) and pambase
(>= `20230918`) packages now ensure
[umask](https://man.archlinux.org/man/umask.1p) being set centrally in
/etc/login.defs instead of /etc/profile.
```

Best,
David

--