Aaron Griffin wrote:
On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 10:40 AM, Hugo Doria <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Thus this way snort can work out of the box with less privileges.
Anyone who wants can put snort to run with another user.

And, in any case, this email was just a question.

I don't see why people have such an issue with creating UIDs/GIDs out
of the box. I don't have a problem with it, as long as we don't do it
on every flippin package under the sun. Is it possible to use 'nobody'
for snort, or is there a security risk there too?

What if I want to run snort under for example "security_user". Now I have a
cluttered passwd file due to the post-install script. And if I manually remove the snort
user, the pre-remove will probably error out too.

Glenn