Ali H. Caliskan wrote:
Perhaps I should start posting topless then :) Well Allan, if you can't see
the benefits of this, then I shouldn't bother mentioning the KISS
philosophy. Also, for instance, compiling gcc and gcc-libs would reduce time
and costs for the developers.

Um... you need to explain the benifits for us to see any... You mention KISS but adding extra functions to PKBUILDs without a clear need/reason it not KISS. I'm sure split packaging can be improved, but we need actual specifics and not vague ideas.

Also, gcc and gcc-libs will be converted to a split package when I next build the toolchain (probably with the binutils-2.20 release). But their build steps are essentially identical so will work perfectly under the one build finction framework. So I have no idea why this justifies your suggestion.

Finally, take the not to subtle hint and do not top post on the mailing lists. I do not care how good you next respose is, I will not read it if it is a top post.

Allan