Stefan Husmann wrote:
Baho Utot schrieb:
Thorsten Toepper wrote:

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 16:08:02 -0400
Baho Utot <baho-u...@columbus.rr.com> wrote:

I am constructing a PKGBUILD for a package and I know some of the variables have been depreciated

Has $startdir been removed if so what is it new equiv.

Thanks

Using $pkgdir and $srcdir is more welcome than using $startdir/{src,pkg}
Not if you're writing a log file and makepkg -c is used.

If all these variables are defined, they all can be used. The question is, for what purpose. Having a logfile in $startdir sounds reasonable to me.

Files which are needed to compile a package should go to $srcdir, files that should be in the resulting package should got to $pkgdir.

In general, you should never use $startdir. There is no guarantee that $stardir/src = $srcdir or similarly with $pkgdir. In fact that definitely does not hold with split packages. If you want to log the build, use "makepkg -L".

I can not think of a valid reason to use $startdir.

Allan

Ok here is your valid reason

./configure --prefix=/usr --shared --libdir=/lib || return 1
 make || return 1
 make check 2>&1 | tee $startdir/check-log
 make DESTDIR=${pkgdir} install || return 1
 rm -v $pkgdir/lib/libz.so || return 1
 install -d -m 0755 $pkgdir/usr/lib || return 1
 ln -sfv ../../lib/libz.so.1.2.3 $pkgdir/usr/lib/libz.so || return 1

Not valid. Use "makepkg -L" to log the entire build process. In the future, there will be a check() function, so you will then get separate logs for build(), check() and package().