On Sat, 14 Nov 2009, Xavier wrote:
On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 7:12 PM, Dimitrios Apostolou <ji...@gmx.net> wrote:
Hello list,

is anyone actually getting WCHAN information from either ps or top? To try
it just use "ps opid,wchan,cmd". I only get dashes, any idea why?

man ps
wchan      WCHAN    name of the kernel function in which the process
is sleeping, a "-" if the process is running, or a "*" if the process
is multi-threaded and ps is not displaying threads.

That said, I only get a dash for the ps itself, and sometimes also for
the shell.

 PID WCHAN  CMD
4040 n_tty_ -zsh
4620 rt_sig zsh
4626 poll_s irssi
12880 pause  screen -r
12942 rt_sig /bin/zsh
14936 rt_sig /bin/zsh
14939 poll_s cmus
23759 poll_s vim lib/libalpm/dload.c
23770 rt_sig /bin/zsh
23842 -      ps opid,wchan,cmd

I still can't figure this one out. The output you get is the correct one (I get that on Redhat systems) however how did you manage to get it on arch??? I tried on two more PCs with archlinux, but I still get dashes! So I see the same bogus behavior on 3 different systems (all 32-bit), I guess it's not my fault.

Ideas?

Dimitris