On Mon, 4 Jan 2010, Dimitrios Apostolou wrote:

Hello,

pacman just brought kernel 2.6.32 for my old laptop (P3 500MHz). A strange thing I noticed is that the fan won't go off when CPU is idling like it used to. Using powertop I can see more than 100K wakeups/s (extra_timer_interrupt is first on the list but I think it's irrelevant since it only shows about 100 wakeups), and the CPU is not going into C2 mode at all. Strangely however the cpu is 99% idle, and top doesn't show "system" or "user" cpu usage.

FYI this happens when the module "processor" is inserted, whence I get something like "marking tsc as unstable due to halts in idle. Using acpi_pm clocksource".

Before that the CPU is idling cool, but from then on I get ~130K wakeups/s and the CPU runs hot. My workaround for the moment is booting with parameter "clocksource=pit".

Anyone else seeing such behaviour?

Thanks in advance,
Dimitris