On 01/09/2010 09:09 PM, Tobias Powalowski wrote:
Am Samstag 09 Januar 2010 schrieb Dan McGee:
On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Tobias Powalowski<t.p...@gmx.de>  wrote:
  >  Yes will change the install message.

Yes there is no mention in the changelogs, really strange.
greetings
tpowa

Ok like this?
  echo ">>>  Since kernel 2.6.29:"
  echo ">>>  Qemu package now provides standard qemu with kvm enabled."
  echo ""
  echo ">>>  PLEASE READ FOR KVM USAGE!"
  echo ">>>   Load the correct KVM module, you will need a KVM capable
CPU!" echo ">>>   Add yourself to the group 'kvm'."
  echo ">>>   Use 'qemu --enable-kvm' to use KVM."
  echo ""
  echo "With the release of qemu and qemu-kvm 0.12.X, the kqemu kernel
module" echo "is no longer supported and will be removed from the
repositories. You" echo "can safely uninstall it from your system."

Can we put some vercmp checks around messages like this? That way
people only have to see them once (when they upgrade the first time to
a 0.12.x version for the second message). The first message should
really be a post_install message.

And with all that said, why are there two packages in extra if "qemu
package now provides standard qemu with kvm enabled"?

-Dan

Yes sure i can add those vercmp stuff.
qemu and qemu-kvm is different.
qemu-kvm is only for  kvm while qemu provides much more machines to emulate.
I'm not sure about that. Both seems to share the same code for machine emulation; only the kvm stuff is different. In fedora 12, they build kvm and qemu-system-xxx from qemu-kvm 0.11. But I don't know how this will evolve in the future. If qemu and qemu-kvm are used for different purposes, one may need to install both apps side by side but that's not possible in archlinux.
I see two ways to handle that:
1. Permit the installation of both applications at the same time (qemu for system emulation, qemu-kvm for visualization). qemu-kvm executables can be renamed to kvm-xyz. That's what Debian do.
2. Build qemu-kvm with --target="" and all came in the same package.

With 0.11, only qemu provided kqemu but as the kqemu support is gone, the second proposition seems to be the way to go. I use this on archlinux for kvm (winXP) and sh or arm emulation without problems since 0.11.

Simon.

greetings
tpowa