On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, dave reisner wrote:
On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Dimitrios Apostolou <ji...@gmx.net> wrote:

Guys that thing bit me again: During the big libpng upgrade "initscripts"
package got upgraded too and /etc/rc.{sysinit,shutdown} got overwritten
without notifying me. Because of special changes I've made to mount /var as
tmpfs, and because I forgot to put the files in the NoUpgrade line of
pacman.conf, the system was unbootable and after fixing it pacman wants to
download 500MB of packages again (ideas?). :-@

Can't pacman just emit a big fat warning like: WARNING: /etc/rc.sysinit
USER CHANGES OVERWRITTEN

Since this case is extremely rare, the message would appear scarcely. I
can't thing of anything negative for such a feature.

Dimitris

Or simply add rc.sysinit to the backup array in the PKGBUILD. I was bit by
this as well, but I had a backup close by. Imagine that.

Because of my experience in this area... I also had a backup and that's how I fixed my system. BU* that happened after I realised something got overwritten, that is *after* the reboot, which costed me my pacman db. Can you imagine it? ;-)

Dimitris