On Jun 28, 2010, at 11:36 AM, Isaac Dupree <m...@isaac.cedarswampstudios.org > wrote:

On 06/28/10 09:35, Victor Lowther wrote:
On Jun 28, 2010, at 7:42 AM, Caleb Cushing <xenoterrac...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 11:10 PM, Victor Lowther
<victor.lowt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Questions, comments, flames, etc. welcome.

why go this way instead of the other? (clarification why go deeper
into bash instead of trying to posix-ify the scripts)

...and the main
source of slowdowns in the boot sequence is I/O based -- mounting
filesystems and launching programs.

IIRC, Busybox shell can get notable speed boost by incorporating versions of tools like sed into the same busybox executable, such that it often doesn't have to fork and load other short-lived programs.

You can eliminate a fair number of trivial uses of grep, awk, and sed by using all of the parameter expansion modifiers that bash offers, and by using the native regex support from bash 3 and above. I made these changes wherever it seemed appropriate in my changes.

(I believe it doesn't do bash-array-syntax.)

-Isaac