On 08/03/2010 04:14 AM, Peter Lewis wrote:
With a particular package, you've no idea which category this falls into.
Sure, you could apply the safest approach of always restarting everything
that's upgraded, but that's not always practical. IMO it would be nice to have
short indicators when something is likely to severely break until restarted. I
don't think that's overkill, it's just helpful.

Cheers,

Pete.

Dieter,

I get what you are saying and I agree. I don't want to see a multitude of little 1-liners winking by every time I upgrade, but both Magnus and Pete have a point. The general body of Arch users probably need to see a bit more info than you do (no doubt I do), but Pete really puts in into context.

For those apps where an upgrade is likely to render the app broken until a restart, then I think that a one-liner is called for to help all of us that aren't full time devs know what packages *must* be restarted after update so that critical apps don't remain broken until something has risen to the level of a problem.

I look at this discussion is just a good thought process at how Arch can be made more robust. Here setting the Arch standard for 1-liners and limiting them to what you need to see + 1-liners for apps that will be rendered inoperative as a result of an update just makes sense. I'm sure the list of apps that would need 1-liners from breakage after update are less than 10 so it wouldn't add much chatter at all to the upgrade messages. For things like MTA's, web-servers and the like adding them would just make Arch that much better.

Maybe the Arch Santa will slip a few into his bag of presents this year. I've been good -- I promise :p

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC