Guys,

I'm either misunderstanding how to control expansion of wildcards on the command line when passing the parameter containing the wildcard as a cli option to a script or the bash controls to allow that are broken. I want to set up a little script alias to search /var/abs for packages and I want the ability to pass either 'name' or 'name*' or '*name*' as input, but if there is anything matching in the current directory, expansion happens before the cli is passed to the script.

Reading, I should be able to turn globbing off with either 'set -f' or 'set -o noglob' and then I should be able to pass the parameter contained a wildcard to the script without any pathname expansion. That appears broken -- or my logic is broken.

        From man bash 'set -f' or 'set -o noglob on' should prevent expansion:

 set [+abefhkmnptuvxBCEHPT] [+o option] [arg ...]
 <snip>
  -f      Disable pathname expansion.
 <snip>
  -o option-name
        The option-name can be one of the following:
 <snip>
        noglob  Same as -f.

EXAMPLE:

  touch pacman-foo

then use the following as your test script (tst.sh):

#!/bin/bash

myvar="$1"

printf "Search:  %s\n" $myvar

exit 0

Now since i have a file called pacman-foo in my directory trying to pass 'pacman*' should result in expansion before the cli is read resulting in:

00:42 nirvana:~/scr/arch/tmp> ./tst.sh pacman*
Search:  pacman-foo

        single-quoting doesn't even protect the cli?? :

00:42 nirvana:~/scr/arch/tmp> ./tst.sh 'pacman*'
Search:  pacman-foo

        Now try 'set -f' to disable pathname expanstion:

01:00 nirvana:~/scr/arch/tmp> set -f
01:02 nirvana:~/scr/arch/tmp> ./tst.sh pacman*
Search:  pacman-foo
01:02 nirvana:~/scr/arch/tmp> ./tst.sh 'pacman*'
Search:  pacman-foo

        Huh? Now try 'set -o noglob'

01:02 nirvana:~/scr/arch/tmp> set -o noglob
01:03 nirvana:~/scr/arch/tmp> ./tst.sh pacman*
Search:  pacman-foo
01:04 nirvana:~/scr/arch/tmp> ./tst.sh 'pacman*'
Search:  pacman-foo

        Huh? Again..  What gives is it bash or is it something I'm reading
wrong?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC