On 18 August 2010 16:37, Pierre Schmitz<pie...@archlinux.de>  wrote:
[...]

-- Sven-Hendrik

You need to keep in mind that's its not just the disk space that might
cause problems here but traffic and especially bandwidth are. E.g. the
our mainserver has about 10mbit/d bandwidth including mirroring, website
etc..

One important issue which hasn't been raised is the fact that the bigger the package the longer it takes to sync than 1 package.

Today's sync for me took 53 minutes the previous highest time i can remember is about 20 minutes and that was with the recent push of KDE 4.5 beta? into testing.

I'm lucky in that I don't suffer any issues yet, but I can imagine that for other with smaller mirrors with lower bandwidth during this period everything else on the server is slowed because of this 1 instance of rsync. Not only that, but some of us have contracts to abide by which restrict the use of long-running processes beyond reasonable use so while multiple syncs can be done as a work-around it'd be nice to at least discuss some sort of policy here, even if it's just that a notification should be done on arch-mirrors when exceptionally large packages are about to go into the repos.

I'm aware this is a one-off but a few years ago I'd be saying the same thing large games being a one-off.