On 09/01/2010 08:59 AM, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 07:44 -0500, David C. Rankin wrote:
<snip>
  but in any event, related or not,
dovecot should update without failing due to the existing dovecot.conf
<snip>

The dovecot.conf file was created by you previously, hence why the
update is failing. The new dovecot package provides dovecot.conf (I
think because upstream provides it).

Pacman gives an error in situations like this, as it well should, since
I doubt anybody wants their configs wiped out. As such I don't think
this is even a bug.

? Que?

I thought that was what was supposed to be handled by .pacnew and .pacsav. Of course there will be a dovecot.conf. (dovecot won't work without it) Everybody knows that. Why should/would an Arch update not be able to handle that simple fact.

You know more than I, but to me, it looks like a bug that Arch needs to be smart enough to fix. I propose that whoever maintains dovecot for Arch fix the install to install the new dovecot.conf and dovecot.conf.pacnew. That way we don't blow up a 288 package update just because the dovecot installer isn't smart enough to know that if dovecot is already installed -> expect a dovecot.conf.

        Do you disagree with that? If so, why?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC