On 16/09/10 20:10, Matthew Gyurgyik wrote:
On 09/16/2010 02:59 PM, Nathan Wayde wrote:
On 16/09/10 19:39, Matthew Gyurgyik wrote:
[..]
Ok a few things here....

1. There are a *few* instances where having a local mirror is warranted

not sure where you were going with that but i feel like you've left a
bit off of that sentence.

2. There are many, many, many packages that are in the repos that *you*
don't use! Every time you download one of these packages it is wasted
bandwidth!

you don't get to tell anyone how to use their bandwidth.

3. Mirror bandwidth is not free! Every time you are downloading unused
packages you are wasting the mirrors money! Why waste money? (Keep point
1 in mind)

since i already payed for that bandwidth and utilize it for other
purposes it is in fact free.
You most certainly do not pay for the Mirror's bandwidth! Just look at
this article: http://lwn.net/Articles/178618/

my contract said I paid for it...

[...]

6. I am quite sure that mirror operators are not and will not be happy
with users downloading gigs of data a month so they can have their own
local mirror.

when you become a mirror operator or bring actual evidence to the
table you will have a say in this.
Again look here: http://lwn.net/Articles/178618/ or ask any admin in
charge of bandwidth operations.
Aaron if you are reading this, would mind sharing the bandwidth cost for
the arch servers?

[...]

At first I typed out a reply but I deleted it because this thread is already dead so I will simply restate my question that no-one has an answer to.

What were the issues with that wiki page and the script. I'd like to know so I don't cause these *problems* for Tier-1 mirrors I sync from as I have to implement my own script which is based on the bad script that was in the wiki.