On 18/09/10 19:17, Stefan Erik Wilkens wrote:
[...]

Guus,

I checked the current mirrorlist before replying, correct me if I'm
wrong but I can't find any entry relating to the domain Nathan
included in his mailing, nor is he listed as a tier1 on the
developer's wiki. Maybe I've missed something painfully obvious here?

-Stefan

it's not *official* , when the new mirror scheme went into action I asked about it because from the docs it appeared that I needed to be an official mirror ad thus permission to sync from the Tier-1s, but I was told that that wasn't the case. I didn't and don't want to run an official mirror in the sense that the mirror appears in the mirrorlist but I run the mirror[1] for what I consider to be a useful purpose and until someone pisses me off or it becomes useless I will continue to run it. It doesn't serve any other mirrors and users aren't expected to use it as their daily mirror which is the reason I don't want it in any mirrorlist.

[1] the mirror is at arm.konnichi.com, it primary idea is that it can be used to do a blanketed and hopefully seamless downgrade of all packages with `pacman -Suu` or downgrade to any single package. http://arm.konnichi.com/2010/09/19/ provides a mirror that behaves like any other mirror of the official repos except the packages are those synced on September 19th 2010. likewise http://arm.konnichi.com/2009/12/03/ is a mirror with files from December 3rd 2009.

ARM syncs once per day so it can't cause much problems and as stated previously the daily average bandwidth is so low that if you're running a mirror then it's almost insignificant unless you have everyone syncing from you which is almost certainly not the case with the Tier-1s. Yesterday or Friday's sync took about 900MiB most of which was from sauerbraten, over 400MiB and some larger packages, today IIRC was less than 10 MiB.