On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 16:50:41 -0300, Dennis Beekman <d.c.beekman.de...@gmail.com> wrote:

Linux is about freedom. You have tons of WM and DE to choose from, I suggest to give a try to Xfce and LXDE. Both work almost the same as Gnome 2 without the bloat.

Anyway, whining in Arch's discussion mail because of a DE decision seems wrong to me.

I use linux becuase i think that windows is just to bloated to even be considered ... but lately Linux has been going in the same direction when it comes to the desktop enviroments Gnome 3 & KDE 4.

Gnome 2 was brilliant just a simple easy to use system with load off good looking features, gnome 3 however is useless in all respects as far as i can tell from whats in testing.

1. You cannot change the panels anymore you stuck with the 2 given by gnome 3.
2. Changing themes also is inpossible.. or so it seems.
3. Why do we need a system settings menu with all the options in one menu ? where are my seperate icons i love so much ? why can we choose wich icons or options we want ? 4. What about the people ho don't have or don't wich to use they're video hardware to run the these stupid graphics ... are we stuck with "fallback mode" wich is even more stupid and backward ? 5 Where did all the nice applets go ? and why can i not add them to my taskbar anymore....

[flaming]
I though KDE 4 was bad and bloated and that i couldn't get any worse... it seems i was wrong. Boy this new Gnome version is even more bloated and buggy then KDE 4 wich is quite the atchievement from the gnome team...

Now i finnaly understand why the Ubuntu guys decided to use they're netbook unity system rather then this shit, eventhough unity sucks it better then Gnome 3 in all respects.

[/flaming]

Can we not just keeps using the old version and ignore the new version of gnome for now until they get they act together ? or hopefully decide to go back to the old interface and develop that further instead ...

--
Martin