Am 22.04.2011 23:18, schrieb Marek Otahal:
Hi,
regarding the recent 'default syslog' discussion I wanted to check what is
Arch up to now...I came to interesting results concerning pacman's search
behavior.

[marek@beruska ~]$ pacman -Ss syslog
core/perl 5.12.3-1 [12.06 MB] (base) [installed]
     A highly capable, feature-rich programming language
core/syslog-ng 3.2.2-2 [0.21 MB] (base)
     Next-generation syslogd with advanced networking and filtering
capabilities
extra/metalog 1.0-1 [0.02 MB]
     Metalog is a modern replacement for syslogd and klogd
community/perl-device-modem 1.53-1 [0.04 MB]
     Perl extension to talk to modem devices connected via serial port
community/rsyslog 5.8.0-1 [0.25 MB] [installed]
     An enhanced multi-threaded syslogd with a focus on security and
reliability
[marek@beruska ~]$

I thought pacman -Ss "string" searches packages' name and desc for the string,
I wonder why the perl things show up?
Cheers&  happy Eastern! :)

It's because the perl package provides perl-sys-syslog.

--
Regards,
Richard Schütz