Am 06.05.2011 15:22, schrieb Steve Holmes:
Hey, I also just installed / upgraded to gnome3 and have run into some
strange problems with keyboard navigation.  First off, I cannot get
into the desktop; also I can't find a reliable way to get into the
system menu.

Keep in mind here, I'm totally blind and do not use the mouse.  I rely
strictly on use of the keyboard to navigate around the environment.
With gnome2, one can use Ctrl+Alt+d to open the desktop from anywhere
in gnome and the system menu was simply part of the main menu
structure.  Now the application and places menus are side by side but
no system menu.  Also, the key combination to focus the desktop
doesn't work.  In fact, when I use the Ctrl+Alt+Tab key combination to
cycle focus between the top and botom panels, there is no desktop
there either.  In gnome2, the desktop was also included in that
rotation.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Is this another sign of broken
functionality in gnome3?

Hi Steve,

I just had a look on Gnome’s website to see the status of their accessibility efforts for Gnome 3. It seems like Gnome Shell is currently not meant to be usable with a screen reader. It is on the roadmap for Gnome 3.2 though.

As for your question about the behaviour of the desktop and panel:

Gnome 3 no longer has icons on the desktop enabled by default. The concept of the panels also changed a lot. There no longer is a real bottom panel, all it offers are the notifications and icons that used to be in the system tray in Gnome 2. The taskbar is completely gone now, you can access your open applications by pressing the windows key and type in the name of the application.

If the fallback mode works for you, I would just stick with it. It might also be a good idea addressing your questions according to Gnome’s accessibility directly to the upstream mailing list, as few people here have experience with it. The URL for signing up is