On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 10:21:53AM +0200, Rodrigo Rivas wrote:
On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 3:01 AM, Janna M. <janna.martl...@gmail.com> wrote:

I just switched to systemd, and was poking around a bit when I noticed
many new entries in /etc/mtab:

Note that recent systemd versions include a link to the documentation of
some units. For example:

$ systemctl status dev-mqueue.mount | grep Docs
    Docs: man:mq_overview(7)

So doing:

$ man 7 mq_overview

will give you an overview of what it is used for.

Generally speaking, these are sometimes called "API filesystems" because
they povide kernel services to applications instead of file storage. They
can be removed only if none of your running applications use them, but that
could be difficult to assert. And since they use almost no resources for
just being mounted, there is little reason for not mounting them at system
startup. That's why systemd does it automatically by default.

However, you can try disabling them and see what happens. In particular
disabling the debugfs thing should do no harm.

PS: There is a very thorough and interesting series about the hugepages at
LWN: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5].

[1]: http://lwn.net/Articles/374424/
[2]: http://lwn.net/Articles/375096/
[3]: http://lwn.net/Articles/376606/