On 01/31/2013 12:49 PM, Tobias Powalowski wrote:
Am 31.01.2013 18:43, schrieb Pierre Schmitz:
Am 31.01.2013 16:09, schrieb Tobias Powalowski:
Hi,
ok syslinux 5.0 series should come to testing again.
The problem with this release:
You need to copy all .c32 modules to your /boot/syslinux path.
- Those who used our shipped install script, will end up in a none menu
based syslinux shell.
As long as we ship this install script we should maintain it. So this
script needs to be altered to copy the needed files.

The script has already been modified to at least to syslinux shell.
If it should do more, Pyther needs to change it.

greetings
tpowa

I'll copy and paste from my previous message (Re: [arch-dev-public] syslinux 5.00 in [testing]).

-----

Below you will find the links to the patches for the syslinux-install_update script, PKGBUILD, and syslinux.cfg

During an install, the syslinux-install_update script will copy all .c32 modules to /boot/syslinux. This is recommended by upstream [1]. The size cost is minimal, 996K. For updates, I added an array called core_modules. During an update, we only copy modules that already exist in /boot/syslinux. However, if any core_module does not exist in /boot/syslinux it will be copied/symlinked.

With these modifications, when a user upgrades from 4.06 -> 5.00, ldlinux.c32 will be copied/symlinked to /boot/syslinux as it is core_module. Other modules such as libutil_com.c32 and libcom32.c32 will not be copied/linked.

On boot, if a menu is being used, the menu will fail to load (missing depends: libutil_com.c32, etc...). However, the user will be given a syslinux shell they can boot by entering a label that corresponds to a defined label in syslinux.cfg.

A post_install message or a news item suggesting users to copy / symlink all modules to /boot/syslinux would be ideal. Users who miss this message, will still be able to boot, but instead of the menu loading, they will be dropped to a syslinux shell (as explained above).

cp /usr/lib/syslinux/*.c32 /boot/syslinux (/ and /boot on seperate fs)

or

ln -s /usr/lib/syslinux/*.c32 /boot/syslinux (/ and /boot on same fs)

In my opinion, we shouldn't add new modules during an update to /boot/syslinux unless, without the module, the system becomes unbootable. The rational here being - the user knows best.

Lastly, since com modules are no longer supported and no one has ported poweroff.com, I have removed the poweroff section from the syslinux.cfg [2].

Patches:
http://pyther.net/a/syslinux-5.00-patches-v1/PKGBUILD.diff
http://pyther.net/a/syslinux-5.00-patches-v1/syslinux-install_update.patch
http://pyther.net/a/syslinux-5.00-patches-v1/syslinux.cfg.patch

[1] "In general, unless you have a reason *not* to install all the .c32
files, it is probably a good idea." - hpa

[2] #syslinux @freenode:
  pyther : Hello. Is there a poweroff module for syslinux 5?
  Ady2 : pyther: no. all .com modules are not supported in 5.00. someone
  needs to create a new poweroff.c32 compatible with 5.00.

Regards,
Matthew Gyurgyik