On 08/20/2015 07:00 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
Anatol,

   The symptoms sound exactly what I'm experiencing with the Realtek NIC. 1 out
of 3 boots I have established a dhcpcd IPv4 address (on the r8169 module), but
then the connection dies. If this is related to what is happening in the thread,
then it is related to the Realtek hardware in my case. I can take the same
archlinux-2015.08.01-dual.iso CD pop it into my failed box with the MSI board
and get a reliable connection and address every time.

   I really don't know where to go from here. I've tried a static IP with both
the r8169 module and the r8168 module and the static IP can't ping the box 2
feet away. (It's not a network "unreachable" error, it's a no network/no
response error -- the system thinks it has a good config with address/subnet
broadcast and broadcast address -- and good default route)

   What else can I try when I'm limited to booting the install media?

OK,

This is just plain weird. I'm beginning to think there is a problem with the new board/bus whatever carries network traffic. I have now tried the onboard NIC, and then with that disabled, tried two additional pci-NICs and all exhibited partial connect/no connect behavior. This is trying with older 100TX cards:

    - Netgear (uses realtek r8169 -- of all the luck)
    - generic card out of an old Compaq desktop (uses tulip driver)

I was able to configure both with static IPs, but then there was a packet loss of 66%+ to other boxes on the LAN. Name resolution worked (it would show the correct IP to ping (e.g. yahoo.com/google.com), but then 3-10 packets of "Network Unreachable", followed by 5-10 good packets with normal ping times (2-60 ms) Same behavior under both the 201308 install media and the 201508 install media (eliminating the latest version of dhcpcd issue)

By this time I was convinced that my cable had gone bad, so I moved the old broken server back into place, booted the install media, and the onboard NIC came right up (forcedeath driver), obtained a dhcp address and resolution worked with 0 packet loss. So I'm at a loss.

Has anyone ever had a board or an install where the network was just flaky or dead for multiple NICs? Thoughts?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.