On 08/24/2015 06:17 PM, Damjan Georgievski wrote:
   I haven't seen or noticed this happening before, but obviously the first
>core dump was back in April related to cups. The question is "What should I
>check?" and "Does any of this look related to BIOS settings and the new disk
>controller?" (that looks more doubtful after looking over all the
>information)
>
>   Anybody have experience with this type thing?

are you running everything Arch up-to-date vanilla or do you have some
custom stuff?
if you're vanilla, run memtest on the machine.

All vanilla, I'll double-check with memtest. After putting the pci-sata controller in, I have noticed an IRQ 13 error on boot related to the failed onboard disk controller. I suspect disabling the onboard controller completely will eliminate that error.

(next snip)
>> are you running everything Arch up-to-date vanilla or do you have some
>> >custom stuff?
>> >if you're vanilla, run memtest on the machine.
> also, make sure to:
> update the bios
> and
> do you have the inte-ucode installed and configured (this is very
> important for certain cpus)?
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Microcode

Thankfully, this is a situation where I have an older AMD Phenom-9850 Black in the box, so linux-firmware should catch it. Thanks for your reply.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.