> On 01 Nov 2016, at 00:35, Leonid Isaev <leonid.is...@jila.colorado.edu> wrote:
>
> Well, my mentality is that authenticating plain-text data is usually not
> necessary because a user can always inspect it

You just can't reliably inspect plain text install data, unless you spend an
awful lot of time on it. As already pointed out, it's just too easy to miss out
small malicious changes. And even if you were able to spot those, most average
users won't, and that's what policies are meant for: the average user.

> Regarding checksums, how did a dev know that upstream sources are authentic?

It's not about the upstream source to be authentic, it's about the upstream
source reached your hard drive without further (malicious) modification. That
saying, you can't expect a package maintainer to review all the code he uses
(indirectly) in his package. If you use another (open source) project, that one
could always be malicious. But we'll assume that case not likely (in general).
It is much more likely that an attacker will try to break things you install
(although I still assume that this is not often), than a group of attackers
hiding malicious software in an (open source) project. The former can be easily
locked out by checksums, the latter only by extensive code reviews. And even if
they were done, you'd still have to trust the one who did the review. Since
there's an easy fix for the former, let's use it. Since there is none for the
latter, let's keep an eye on this. There's always trust to a certain degree.

Cheers, Lukas