On 2018-07-27 19:07, Foxtrot Mike via arch-general wrote:
Hi all,

Currently we have around 10 employees who develop software using Visual
Studio. The idea is to install the development tools on the Windows
Server system, and to have all the developers connect to the server over
RDP using low-end low-power computers. The server is pretty beefy
though. The low end client PCs will save up-front cost as well as power
bills. The network backend will not have any issue with the increased
RDP traffic.

I'm not sure about the auth part given my little experience with it, but if you're going to log into a server via RDP, can't you simply have your lightweight machine automatically open a default session [1], connect to the windows server, and authenticate users there?

If you're going to only have one app running on the client machines, you don't need a window manager; xinit do that [2] [3]

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinit#Autostart_X_at_login
[2] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinit#Starting_applications_without_a_window_manager
[3] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=107319