On 7/26/24 8:38 AM, 2qdxy4rzwzuui...@potatochowder.com wrote:
I would include logs and version numbers, but I'm not sure where to
start.  :-)

I checked the BBS, but I didn't immediately't see anything related.

Any ideas?

A guess,

  First - what model laptop/CPU?

I ask because if I recall correctly, one of the changes the 6.10 kernel brought it was "improved" scaling of CPU core speed. This would have been from the release notes either from The Register or Phronix. My only thought is you may have a CPU/chipset, or or passing kernel parameters on boot that isn't playing nice with the new CPU scaling preventing your core processor speed from idling down.

(top would still show 100% idle -- but your CPU may be idling a 3.5GHz)

  You can check if your cores are idling down with:

grep '^processor\|^cpu MHz' /proc/cpuinfo

  e.g.

$  grep '^processor\|^cpu MHz' /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
cpu MHz         : 797.850
processor       : 1
cpu MHz         : 798.104
processor       : 2
cpu MHz         : 797.105
processor       : 3
cpu MHz         : 798.114

If your cores are running at full-speed, this may be an area worth further investigating.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.