See the gen_initramfs.sh file - that has the pertinant part I think...it
also explains what the initrd.splash file is used for...but there is
much more to it than that one function I'm sure, tho I can't find much -
surely it needs the binaries as explained in that quote i put on teh
gentoo forums...