Your description is basically what i do.

I have like 3 machines that basically do NAT and transparent proxying
(ala SQUID) on three client networks. I ignorepkg = iptables, squid,
kernel26 on all three of them.

Since my laptop also runz Arch, i always upgrade my laptop first... and
find out if things work ok... (i had problems once upgrading SQUID).
Once its cool on my laptop... i log into the servers and upgrade too :)

Pretty painless... one of them has been going since Arch 0.5, the other
two were installed with 0.6.

No problems what so ever here.

:)

Essien