On 11/29/05, Philip Dillon-Thiselton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Aside from that, the way the hooks are currently written I don't think
> they would even work with a non-gensplash kernel, but maybe they do...I
> don't recall errors before...

On a quasi-related note, it might be nice if the initscripts exposed
some method to handle "progress" in a generic way.  That is, something
like so: (off the hip)

rc.conf:
PROGRESS_SCRIPT="/etc/increment-rc-progress"

increment-rc-progress:
CURRENT_PROGRESS=$(cat /tmp/rc-progress)
echo $(expr $CURRENT_PROGRESS + 1) > /tmp/rc-progress

#now do something based on $CURRENT_PROGRESS, such as gensplash-esque stuff

Something like this would allow for unpatched genspalsh usage (I
think), but also allow for other things, like a wget/pacman style
progress bar in text, when loading...

Just an idea