On 4/19/06, Damir Perisa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Tuesday 18 April 2006 21:00, RedShift wrote:
>  | Don't worry about it. Fragmentation doesn't really have any effect
>  | on linux filesystems.
>
> it horribly has... my reiser3 root-fs is horribly fragmented and
> access times are very bad... if i copy a whole dir to a new place and
> move it back, it becomes around 10x faster.

It's 10x faster because it's cached. The kernel caches data very
heavily, and the drive too has a cache.
Take for example, untarring a kernel source tarball. the first time
will be slow, second time will be lightning quick because of the
various caches on the system.

If your filesystems are that bad, after what you said was years of
use, then it wouldnt hurt to backup and reinstall. You're doin pretty
well to still be running a system that long.

James
--
iphitus - Beyond Maintainer, Arch Trusted User, Arch Developer.
Home:iphitus.loudas.com