> There have been programs which were not wide char safe(hugin used to be)
> and there might be others. Audacity doesn't plaz nicely with gtk2 in its
> current version (recommendation by the upstream developer).

Hmm... I didn't know about it.

> To maintain multiple versions of wxwidgets would be a overkill and a
> pain(the wx-config script would have to be altered by post_install I
> think).
>
> Therefore, it won't be split up. And yes, we do need all 3 backends.
> That's the way it is with a wrapper toolkit.

Well, I'll try to make my own wxwidgets-gtk* packages which will
provide wxwidgets. Maybe I'll even manage how to build wxwidgets-x11.
I just like to keep my system clean and lean. :-) I'm going to setup
my repo on our company public server, so if anyone will be interested
- these packages will be there (I'll post the URL when I"ll open the
repo).