There are at least three options for crafting xorg.conf file listed in the wiki.  Which did you use?  I have had better luck with running xorgconfig than the others.  You might try each method as they will typically yield slightly different results.

Hi, Tom.  Throughout my many attempts to get this thing to work I typically used hwd to generate my xorg.conf file.  However, I did try other methods.  I'm not sure that I tried all that were mentioned in the wiki.  The bottom line is that I finally gave up.  Since I didn't have a spare suitable video card to try, what I did was swap my motherboard for one that had on-board video.  I set it up and it worked straight away.  My thought is that in a few months (probably around the first of the year) I'll give the video card that I was using a shot and my best guess is that it will work.  I just need to allow some time for the kinks in this transition to work themselves out.  BTW, I had been using that same video card with X prior to the transition and it was never a problem.

So, thanks, Tom, for the input.  I just think that after investing the amount of effort that I have in getting this thing to work it's best to just adopt a work around while everything settles out.  Thanks again for your input.

        ... doug