On 8/16/06, Thomas Bächler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi everyone and thanks for your advices.

Well, the situation has changed a bit and now I'm really confused...
Here's the story :

1. 0.7.2 CD Install
Everything went fine, just had to change hdx to sdx in fstab and grub.
Can boot the system, no problem.

2. Pacman -Syu
Can update the system, answering NO to :
replace devfsd with udev ?
and booting on the 0.7.2 CD kernel (kernel26-2.6.16.16-1) is still ok.

However, current kernel (kernel26.img) or beyond kernel will give a
kernel panic.

3. Pacman -Syu
Can update the system, answering YES to :
replace devfsd with udev ?
and booting on the 0.7.2 kernel is still ok with a lot of broken things.

4. Some errors before kernel panic (kernel26.img) :

ata_piix 0000:00:1f.2: MAP [ XX XX XX XX ]
ata_piix 0000:00:1f.2: invalid MAP value 1
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1f.2[B] -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 20
ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0x1F0 ctl 0x3F6 bmdma 0x18B0 irq 14
ata1: SATA port has no device
scsi0 : ata_piix
ata2: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0x170 ctl 0x376 bmdma 0x18B8 irq 15
ata2: SATA port has no device
scsi1 : ata_piix
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
done.
:: Running Hook [filesystems]

:: Initramfs Completed - control passing to kinit
kinit: Cannot open root device dev(0,0)
kinit: init not found!

5. with rootfstype=ext3

same result LESS :
Attempting to create root device '/dev/sda6'
ERROR: Failed to parse block device name for '/dev/sda6'
unknown
ERROR: root fs cannot be detected. Try using the rootfstype= kernel parameter

6. with initrd26.img

Same ata_piix invalid MAP message but boot will end up with BusyBox

Some messages before BusyBox :

mount: Mounting /dev/root on /new_root failed: No such device or address
pivot_root: pivot_root: No such file or directory
umount: /initrd: No such file or directory
umount: /initrd: No such file or directory
/linuxrc: 490: /sbin/busybox: not found
Freeing unused kernel memory: 240k fredd

BusyBox v1.01.......

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

Well, that's it... I've STFW'd and saw some recent topics concerning
that kind of problems (on LKLM as well) but regarding my "knowledge"
of GNU/Linux systems, I really had no chance to fix anything or, to be
honest, even _really_ understand what's going on...

Thank in advance to anyone who could help...

Cheers