Hi,

After a recovery from a recent hacking (which my friend was
responsible of by setting root password to root and allowing root ssh
login), I took some time to parse the logs. While looking, I notice
that lastb wasn't returning anything.

In /var/log/auth.log, there was this message everytime someone failed
to connect :

"sshd[5528]: Excess permission or bad ownership on file /var/log/btmp"

It turns out that sshd refuses to write to btmp if group/all have
read/write/execute access to the file. chmod 600 /var/log/btmp solves
the problem. But I know some people might find useful to allow group
read access. Although, at the moment lastb is completely unusable, so
I suggest  changing the permissions on the file.