On Tuesday 23 January 2007 21:37:40 RedShift wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I've got a fairly simple problem. I have server1 which is located in
> DC1, and I have server2 which is located in DC2. The problem is the
> routing at DC2 blows. The only good connection is the one from DC2 to DC1.
>
> Both servers have a public IP address. So what I'm trying to achieve
> here, is letting server1 be a "gateway" to server2. Let's take this
> information:
>
> server1: IP 212.23.24.25 and 212.23.24.26
> server2: IP 180.48.47.46
>
> now what I want, is that 212.23.24.26 IS server 180.48.47.46. So if you
> are connecting to 212.23.24.26, you are actually connecting to
> 180.48.47.46, as if it were the next hop.
>
> Now on #iptables the suggestion was NAT, but NAT does incur processing
> overhead. Because we are trying to lower the time it takes to reach
> server2, processing must be kept at a minimum.
>
> Now all this has to be IP-based, because both servers only have one
> interface to the internet.
>
> Maybe someone is in a similar scenario? Are there other ways besides NAT
> to accomplish this?
>
> Thanks for your time,
>
> Glenn
>
> (Note: the IP addresses are examples, I just typed them randomly, they
> might lead to actual machines but that was not my intention)

If you want the connection to be seemless from the second ip in server1 you
will need to do a DNAT to the second ip.

If DNAT is out of the question, then you will just need to make sure that you
have a route to the server2 in the server1 and activate forwarding to that
ip... but that will only work if you set server 1 as a literal gateway to
server 2 ( useless ).

I might advice you to figure out why your server doesn't go outside its
network correctly, might be something as simple as domain or route errors.

--
Guillermo A. Amaral, BCSE
@ site: http://www.guillermoamaral.com/