On Sun, 2007-01-28 at 22:07 +0800, Waldemar Bautista wrote:
> I run your code by compiling it in two ways.
> 1. gcc hello.c
>
> (gdb) run
> Starting program: /home/waldemar/tmp/a.out
> (no debugging symbols found)
> Failed to read a valid object file image from memory.
> (no debugging symbols found)
> hello!
>
> 2. gcc -g hello.c -o hello
>
> (gdb) run
> Starting program: /home/waldemar/tmp/hello
> Failed to read a valid object file image from memory.
> hello!
>
> Just trying to provide more information.

It's a problem in GDB and recent kernel versions.

http://www.nabble.com/Failed-to-read-a-valid-object-file-image-from-memory-%28gdb_6_6-branch%2C--kernel-2.6.20-rc6%29-tf3129767.html

I don't have a fix available at this moment other than downgrading your
kernel, but that will break all other things on your system.