Taking a look at switching from Gentoo to Arch. Sure there are many who
have done this already.

On my Dell Latitude D610 laptop, I install fresh from the 0.7.2 CD and
build the base image. After rebooting into my shiny new system, I'm
prompted to upgrade pacman. Having done so I remove raidtools (pacman -R
raidtools) and run 'pacman -Suy' again and am prompted to upgrade the
system with ~116.1mb of packages. No problem there and shortly it
completes. As this is now going to implement udev (and others) I need a
reboot.

Upon reboot, I get an instant kernel pacnic "...Unable to mount root fs
on unknown-block(0,0)"

I used to get this on Gentoo when forgetting to compile in XFS support
to the kernel. But here I use the stock Arch Linux kernel. My partitions
are as follows:

 /dev/sda1 - /boot (ext2)
 /dev/sda2 - swap
 /dev/sda3 - / (xfs)
 /dev/sda4 - /home (xfs)

Is there no support for XFS in the latest stable release kernel?

Regs.

Iain.