I've got a quick and dirty hack that I use to get around this.  It's
mainly the stock netfs script but with the start up section all but
removed.  This obviously kills the functionality of the script mounting
all your network file systems in fstab at startup but if you're having
this problem you're probably not using it.

I was working on a more elegant solution that would mount shares based
on definitions in the network profile, but my school decided to
implement cisco's clean access which more or less killed that idea.

If you use it don't forget to rename it else it'll get over written next
time initscripts are updated.

/etc/rc.d/netfs.hacked:
======================================
#!/bin/bash

. /etc/rc.conf
. /etc/rc.d/functions

case "$1" in
  start)
    add_daemon netfs
    ;;
  stop)
    stat_busy "Unmounting Network Filesystems"
    umount -a -t nfs,smbfs,codafs,cifs,shfs,fuse
    if [ $? -gt 0 ]; then
      stat_fail
    else
      rm_daemon netfs