Aaron Griffin wrote:
>>> Alternatively, you could keep the kernels but only provide drivers for the
>>> vanilla one.  I believe iphitus was working on a script to have these
>>> rebuild automatically for other kernels than kernel26. Any news on that?

>>> You could do the same for python modules and libraries.
>>>
>> About perl modules etc.
>> xterminus did a script for building CPAN modules automatically and
>> even setup a repo for them (managed automatically too).
>> He is inactive now and thus a move of those packages to community didn't
>> happen.
>> I think we should contact him again about the status of that work.
>> AUR has a ton of perl-blah-blah-blah packages, that could be better
>> managed with that tool.
>
> I almost like the fact that these are in a separate repo.  It seems
> more idealistic to me - "this repo does X" instead of "this repo has
> some of this and some of this, and audacity, and screen-cvs".  But
> that's just me.  The complication comes from the fact that setting up
> pacman for multipl repos on-the-fly seems a little ungainly.

I had an idea like this in another _long_ thread :) ( i doubt plenty ppl
read it to the end). Like you mention the complication comes from
discovering and configuring repos into pacman. If we accept this as a
new first class activity, a tool could be built to handle searching for
repos and adding them to pacman config. If it all handles cleanly (think
repoman) or something.

I think there's really something to this idea higher abstaction of repos
as something we actually officially deal with and can be contributed,
setup and thorn down.

> But I'm just blathering here...

I'm equally just blathering here...