On 5/18/07, Arnaud Fortier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

For exemple kernel-server could hav some ckserver patch and other
"related to server" patches, the same idea for laptop / desktop.
Another way could be to have a pkgbuild like the kernel26viper (on aur)
or wain's one where you can select the kernel / patchsets you want,
configure it and build it ?

Regards

Arnaud

James Rayner a écrit :
> On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 03:46:35AM +0800, Gan Lu wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 17 May 2007 09:12:06 +0200

>>> I use the same because i have had some bad experiences with the
distribution
>>> what i used before arch which has only one kernel package. That's why
i never
>>> upgrade the running kernel and reboot to an other kernel before i want
to do
>>> this. I think it is a risk which is not necessary instead of it seems
that
>>> arch devs makes a very good job. But if a kernel panic happens after
an
>>> upgrade and you have to solve it than from my view you don't want it a
second
>>> time.-) So my hope is too that kernel26ck or another kernel package
what is
>>> most wanted will be survive in community.
>>>

>> Yes, I do agree.  kernel-laptop -desktop -sever if you want my vote.
BTW, Since we haven't  supported 2.4 for a long time, why not remove 26
from the name?

> I still believe seperating out kernels for different systems is wrong,
> and have yet to see any evidence to support the contrary. It
> contradicts the goals of the kernel itself.
>
> In addition, it just increases load on maintainers.
>
> For anyone else who tries to suggest these silly names, state what you
> would actually put in them to differentiate them.
>
> James

Server mod seems inntresting. Arch still have no kernel with xen/openvz
build in.