On 8/14/07, _saiko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I noticed that site lookup from my linux box was rather slow
> took me 5-10 secs to load google for example.
> Checked that /etc/hosts has correct 127.0.0.1 hostname form and that lo
> interface was up. Then i tried disabling IPv6 but still no change.
> I searched the forums and found that ppl solved it by adding their ISP's
> nameserver IPs rather then their router IPs in resolv.conf
> Indeed that solved it for me but both things were needed: disabling IPv6
> and adding the nameservers.
>
> Disabling IPv6 is something that would be understandible since my router
> doesn't support it and so far i know it's not enabled in win XP per default.
> But that with the nameservers doesn't make any sence since that isn't
> needed on my windows boxes yet there are no problems.
>
> Anyone care to explain ?

Try messing with dig and nslookup to verify how long it takes for the
DNS lookup. This way you can also see if it is really a DNS problem or
not.

If it is, and your DNS server is just slow, try switching to a public
server (google for that), or run a caching dnsmasq setup somewhere on
the local machine or local network (I do).