On Montag, 17. September 2007 11:03 Oleg Nitz wrote:

> The "shadow" package provides the following defaults:
> "useradd -m" created home directory with 755 permissions
> "adduser" created home directory with 711 permissions
> I believe that home directories must be created with 700 permissions.
> To achieve this I've changed UMASK from 022 to 077 in /etc/login.defs
> and changed defchmod from 711 to 700 in /usr/sbin/adduser.

Nice Idea. I never recognize this because i have my user in a own group and
choose 770 for my homes. Thanks for the hint.

> I propose to make these changes in the "shadow" package. But before
> adding this feature request to http://bugs.archlinux.org/ I would like
> to hear your opinions, maybe there is some good reason for having
> current defaults?

I don't see any reason against it too but i'm not a dev. From my view you can
write a feature request because than the devs have it easier to recognize
this and there is even the possibility to discuss it.

See you, Attila