Hello,

I'm Faruk Uzun, I'm currently a second year computer science student at
Canakkale University (COMU) in Turkey.
I thought I'd leave a message here to introduce myself and let you know
that I'm very interested in working with Arches for GSoC14.

My programming language of choice is Python. I love to do my job with
pythonic way. I developed applications with Django also I am familiar with
markup languages like HTML/XHTML, XML/JSON, CSS as well.
Pass year i developed mercekd[0] which is a free software tool for analysis
of real-time ISC DHCP log data that runs in browser with i18n support.
You can find more about me and give my commits a quick look on my GitHub
profile[1]

I am interested to combine two of following ideas;

3. Implement more advanced security model
7. Installation Wizard
8. Integrate a build/ci server and automated unit tests into the Arches dev
environment

I think apps that is well-known for its ease of installation more charming.

About implementing of installation wizard;

Have you considered creating packages (deb, rpm etc.) for Linux
distributions alongside of it?
In Windows, there may be an installer (exe).

For step-by-step progress that will work on web, there should be;

- Creating super-user account
- Managing basemaps and GIS layers
- Updating default map settings

About automated unit tests;

How about using zc.buildout[2], zc.recipe.testrunner[3] and
django-continuous-integration[4] together for unit tests and CI.
Buildout is a a tool that uses parts specifications to repeatably  bring
together specific combinations and versions of Python eggs, along with
non-Python elements, into controlled workyards of development and
deployment. [5]
Also Buildout can help us for implementing of (7).
zc.recipe.testrunner is an egg that can create a test script that will auto
discover other tests and run them.

I also did some research about Jenkins and TeamCity.
TeamCity is a commercial tool but it has free licenses for open source
projects[6].
I'm going to install Jenkins to my local. I will let you know about it.

About advanced security model;

I forked arches on Bitbucket and installed it to my local.
I'm going to try to fix some bugs to warm up the code then i will ask
questions about it.

Please let me know if I missed something.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards.

[0]: https://github.com/COMU/mercekd
[1]: http://www.github.com/farukuzun