Hi Sindhu,

For a deep understanding of the reasoning used by archaeologists in
representing temporal periods, you might like to read the 2004 paper
'Supporting Chronological Reasoning in Archaeology' by Martin Doerr of the ICS
Forth research institute in Crete, one of the authors of the CIDOC Conceptual
Reference Model standard ontology that underpins Arches. That's available
online at
https://www.ics.forth.gr/isl/publications/paperlink/caa2004_supporting_chronological_reasoning.pdf

Good luck!

Ed

Abstract. This paper is a study on the formal representation of the information
concerning archaeological finds and historical data that is relevant to the
discourse about chronology. It aims at contributing to the theoretical
foundations of chronological reasoning in Archaeology. Starting from the
ontological analysis of the CIDOC CRM (ISO/CD21127), we define and classify
elements of archaeological and historical evidence through the kinds of their
chronological consequences and the complexity of chronological reasoning that
they can support. Our work also aims at identifying broad categories that may
allow for generalization and unification of the vast variety of methods
discussed in the literature. Moreover, we identify five classes of evidence and
background knowledge for temporal reasoning, and suggest a generalized
interval-based formalism.