Dear Liz

Welcome to the Arches community, and thanks for letting us know about the work
of the Kathmandu Valley Preservation Trust, which sounds like important work in
a part of the world that now has many urgent needs.

Others have recently expressed interest to the Arches team (although not on
this forum) in deploying Arches for Nepal. I will write to you separately off
forum to put you in touch with each other in case there might be synergies
between your aims.

If you haven't already done so, I would recommend that you and your colleagues
take a look at HisoricPlacesLA, the Los Angeles Historic Resources Inventory,
[at http://historicplacesla.org] to get a better sense of whether Arches
version 3.0 meets the requirements that you have in mind. HistoricPlacesLA is a
customized implementation of Arches 3.0. We're also in the process of preparing
a video showing the data entry side of Arches version 3.0, which is not
publicly accessible through HistoricPlacesLA, and we'll be alerting the
community when it is online. We're also working on a demo version of Arches to
allow users to interact with its data creation and editing functionality.

In terms of your interest in Arches' potential use for visitor interpretation
and the potential use on smart phones, the user interface of Arches v3 is
responsive, meaning that it automatically resizes based on the device that it's
being viewed on, whether desktop, tablet, or smartphone. And the response from
the public to HistoricPlacesLA as a source for obtaining information about the
heritage of Los Angeles has been extremely positive. You may wish to experiment
with interacting with HistoricPlacesLA on different digital devices.

You've also mentioned that one potential use of Arches would be for an archive
project. Could you elaborate on specifically what you have in mind? Just a bit
of background, Arches has been designed with the focus on inventorying heritage
places (which in terms of the Arches data structure includes Heritage Resources
and Heritage Resource Groups (e.g., districts)), and allows for records of any
any other Arches resource types to be related to them, which include
Information Resources (which include things such as images and documents),
Person/Organization, Activities (e.g., surveys, conservation interventions),
and Historical Events. Actually any of these resource types can be related to
each other, as you will able to see by searching the HistoricPlacesLA dataset.

Once that you let me know the specifics of what you have in mind regarding the
archive project, I can try to respond to your questions.

Best regards,

David Myers
Arches Project Team