Michael, glad you were able to do some sleuthing to figure this out.  I
remember now that we have this as an issue on BitBucket,
https://bitbucket.org/arches/arches3/issues/282/entering-format-type-on-information,
so at least it is documented for now.  Feel free to make a BitBucket
account and begin to log any other bugs like this that you come across.

If I recall correctly, things are fine if you indicate a format type after
you have uploaded the file.  There's just some function that runs on the
upload file page that doesn't like having a format type present.

Adam